In order to support development of Confucius Institutes, facilitate Chinese language promotion and Chinese cultural transmission in the world, cultivate qualified Chinese language teachers and talented students of Chinese language, Confucius Institute Headquarters / Hanban launches the “Confucius Institute Scholarship” program to provide financial aid for students, scholars and Chinese language teachers worldwide to proceed to a Master’s degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) in Chinese universities (hereinafter referred to as "host institutes"), or study in such majors as Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History and Chinese Philosophy.
Confucius Institute Scholarship Program was established in 2009. By 2012, more than 16,000 applicants from 150 countries have been funded to study in China.
1. The category of Confucius Institute Scholarship includes:
- Scholarship for Students of Master's Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages(MTCSOL)
- Scholarship for Students of One-Academic-Year + MTCSOL
- Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Students
- Scholarship for One-Semester Students.
Applicants shall be non-Chinese citizens in good health, aged between 16 and 35 (Chinese language teachers in post shall be aged below 45). For more information, please refer to the Recruitment Procedures for Confucius Institute Scholarship.
2. Scholarship winners are exempt from registration fees, tuition, fees for basic learning materials, accommodation fees on campus, and are provided with a one-off resettlement subsidy, monthly allowance, outpatient medical service and comprehensive insurance for foreign students studying in China. Monthly allowances are at the following rates (CNY Yuan per month):
- CNY 1,400 for One-Academic-Year Students and One-Semester Students.
- CNY 1,700 for Master’s Degree Students.